Skip to main content

Do you listen, or just read?

When we were on strike two years ago, several of my colleagues listened as they walked - podcasts, audiobooks - but when I tried it, I couldn't focus on the storyline, so I chose to just walk and talk instead.

Fast-forward to this year, and the latest version of the "26 books with Bringing up Burns" reading challenge... one of this year's prompts was "a book you listen to". So I tried it again.  I couldn't get a paper copy for last month's book club choice, so I borrowed the audiobook from the library, and tried listening again.  I found it went well if I was listening while doing another task, like washing the dishes or folding laundry, and I was able to do lesson planning but not marking with a story running through my headphones.  It was slow going until I found I could make it go faster - 1.25 speed sounds a little more robotic, but it sure cuts on listening time.  I actually finished listening to that book as I drove to the book club meeting - finished with 10 minutes to spare.

It was a lighter read than the one I'd tried on the picket line - marketed as a "beach read" set mostly on Nantucket Island.  I didn't have to listen too closely to pick up details; the plot was easy enough to follow until the recipes started showing up.  Each chapter was from the point of view of a different character, but the narrator remained the same for all, which I think was good.  I've since listened to another book (I'm finding I prefer a story to the news and opinions on my favourite talk radio station on the drive home), and that narrator changed her voice to indicate character changes...which was a bit odd.  I could have followed it without the weird voices.

So, now that it's March Break, and I have some time to read, maybe some of the rest of my time will be taken up listening, too...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scratch that!

I attended a lunch & learn session today on Scratch .  I am definitely going to need to play around with it some more before I'm really comfortable with it, but wow, what a tool! You can see my first project below. Scratch is surprisingly simple to use, once you get going.  My previous coding experience has all been text-based:  HTML, Fortran (can you say, "do loop"?) and Basic.  Yup, I'm that old. In Scratch, each command has a block, and you string them together in stacks, just like Lego. My ultimate goal with this is how I can use it with students.  Lots of ideas for math, and even grade 9 and 10 science... but I'm teaching grade 12 IB biology right now.  Hoping for an inspiration on what they can do with it, and whether it's better to wait until September when they're not so focussed on the May exam session.

The good on Twitter...

There is a lot of negativity on Twitter and other social media platforms right now, thanks to the change of power in the US, and controversial appointments to high-level government positions.  This will not be a political rant... I am choosing to focus, instead, on the good things I've seen on Twitter today. Very useful, interesting site to promote problem solving, communication & critical thinking. #mathed https://t.co/YeN866cTzy @Jstevens009 pic.twitter.com/uvHBIA6eq8 — Jim Cash (@cashjim) January 23, 2017 This tweet from @cashjim led me to  wouldyourathermath.com , and though I haven't taught mathematics in years, as a science teacher, mathematics still crops up in some topics so I thought I'd explore. In particular, I like this one on statistics and thought before I used it with students, maybe I should review (or actually learn for the first time) what a boxplot is.  I did a statistics course in my third year at university, but what I remember most from

Reading Challenges 2018

A few years ago, I started a reading challenge with the intent of reading more. That year my goal was to read 26 books (and the challenge was " 26 Books with Bringing up Burns "). 26 books seemed reasonable, and I hadn't really been keeping track of what or how many books I read in a year, so a book every two weeks seemed do-able.  This year, so far, I'm at 99 books (and as I should finish the one I'm planning to use to complete the second reading challenge... I'll be in triple digits by the time we ring in 2019.) For my fourth year of participation, #26BOOKSwithBringingUpBurns... I read a book that: is self-published: The Dealmaker by G.S. Marriott has food or drink on the cover: Killer Cupcakes by Leighann Dobbs is translated from its original language: The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson is your friend's favourite book: White Oleander by Janet Fitch has pink on the cover: City of the Lost