Skip to main content

Has it been 10 days yet?

Yup.  I just counted from my first post, and it was on January 16, making today day 10.

I missed a couple of days - both times I had begun writing, but didn't finish or didn't publish the draft - but I also double posted a couple of times, to try and catch up. Still, this is post number 8, on day 10.

Not bad for a rookie, right?

We started exams today, and since my first class doesn't write until Friday, I'm trying to be productive and mark their major lab reports before I have to start marking their exam papers.  It's going slowly... #BellLetsTalk day is in full swing, making my phone buzz and my computer bong with alerts as people tweet and re-tweet. Yes, I am easily distracted when faced with a task I don't always enjoy.  I also wrote a reference letter for a former student who is applying to the SickKids Summer Research Program, and its deadline is before my mark-entry deadline, so I justified writing it before grading papers, too.

Just imagine if I was "working from home" today... dishes & laundry might take precedence, too.

I am happy, though, that the labs I've graded so far are pretty good.  The students were given a sample lab as a guide (on a slightly different, but related topic) and a quick run-through of the expectations for data analysis (i.e. what kind of calculations were expected, characteristics of a good graph) and it seems to have helped.  Here's hoping that the rest of the class followed instructions as closely as these first few!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post a day for 10 days?

I saw this post from Tina Zita (@tina_zita) on my Twitter feed this morning, and thought... 'it's almost exam time, can I do this?'

If I start small, maybe.

So... what did I learn today?  I finally learned how to use the spirometer.  I've been at this school for longer than my grade 12's have been alive (kids born the year I started at this school are in their first year of university now), and I've never used the thing. Seriously, I could have searched Youtube for an instructional video - oh look, I found one!

But in the past, I've used other techniques to measure lung volumes, mostly involving balloons and mathematical approximations of volume.  Maybe tomorrow I can post about how well it worked for my students...



The good on Twitter...

There is a lot of negativity on Twitter and other social media platforms right now, thanks to the change of power in the US, and controversial appointments to high-level government positions.  This will not be a political rant... I am choosing to focus, instead, on the good things I've seen on Twitter today.
Very useful, interesting site to promote problem solving, communication & critical thinking. #mathedhttps://t.co/YeN866cTzy@Jstevens009pic.twitter.com/uvHBIA6eq8 — Jim Cash (@cashjim) January 23, 2017 This tweet from @cashjim led me to wouldyourathermath.com, and though I haven't taught mathematics in years, as a science teacher, mathematics still crops up in some topics so I thought I'd explore.

In particular, I like this one on statistics and thought before I used it with students, maybe I should review (or actually learn for the first time) what a boxplot is.  I did a statistics course in my third year at university, but what I remember most from that class is s…