Skip to main content

Looking ahead or playing catch-up?

I started this two days ago... then didn't finish because I was preparing for a meeting Friday, and then at the meeting Friday... But that's not an excuse.  It's just a symptom that I am not yet in the habit of posting... and I'm not always sure what to write about.

Because our school year is divided into semesters, we have the opportunity to start fresh in February.  As an IB school, however, some of our teachers have full-year, two-credit courses that run from September until the May examination period. As the DP coordinator at an IB school, I teach one of these classes, plus an extra class in semester one.  The rest of my timetable is dedicated to the administration of the IB diploma program... a daunting task that some schools grant full time (i.e. no teaching periods) release for, while others may not have time release at all.
With exams starting next week, I will soon say goodbye to my grade 11 students (though I will likely have them for grade 12 next year) and my current grade 12's continue with me until the end of April.

I think my plan with this post, originally, was to think about what the upcoming semester will look like, as I work with my grade 12 IB students as we finish the course and prepare for the IB exams in May.  Not being the one who writes the exam means that all I can do is to try and ensure that they have the background knowledge (IB Biology Guide) and the skills to answer any style of exam question that is asked.  As an examiner myself, I can give them guidance on what the examiners are looking for, and offer suggestions about how to prepare for the three papers they will write.  But this heavy focus on a standardised test - which is really what the IB and AP exams are - means students have less patience for non-traditional, student-centred activities.  They really just want me to "teach" them the content.

Are they lazy? Are they worried they'll miss something if I don't just hand them everything on a silver platter?  Classes in other subject areas are less teacher-driven, which I see when I visit teachers and students as part of my role as the program coordinator, but in Sciences, unless it's a lab day, I usually see at teacher at the front of the room, with a slideshow on-screen or notes on the whiteboard.  I'm not being critical of them, by the way, just making an observation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Challenges 2018

A few years ago, I started a reading challenge with the intent of reading more. That year my goal was to read 26 books (and the challenge was " 26 Books with Bringing up Burns "). 26 books seemed reasonable, and I hadn't really been keeping track of what or how many books I read in a year, so a book every two weeks seemed do-able.  This year, so far, I'm at 99 books (and as I should finish the one I'm planning to use to complete the second reading challenge... I'll be in triple digits by the time we ring in 2019.) For my fourth year of participation, #26BOOKSwithBringingUpBurns... I read a book that: is self-published: The Dealmaker by G.S. Marriott has food or drink on the cover: Killer Cupcakes by Leighann Dobbs is translated from its original language: The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson is your friend's favourite book: White Oleander by Janet Fitch has pink on the cover: City of the Lost

No buses... so now what?

For the second time in as many weeks (both Tuesdays, I might add...) we've had buses cancelled due to inclement weather.  Sometimes, these days can be a blessing, as when a number of students are bussed in, we have few in the building and it may be an opportunity to catch up on paperwork, the dreaded grading that we all try to minimize and still manage to collect too much of... but this close to January exams, I'd rather be able to work with my students and help them study and review the semester's content. I had 4 students in my grade 11 class, and we took up the answers to the genetics problems test they wrote last week.  One student in grade 12?  He's taking samples from the lab we set up yesterday ( using dialysis tubing to model the small intestine ) so the next class can use the equipment tomorrow. What about me?  Did I make good use of my time?  I copied my grade 11 exam and delivered it to the main office for safe-keeping until my students write it next week

Is a test always best?

So, apparently, I have a habit of starting a post and not finishing it... I began this one yesterday. I really struggle with using other forms of assessment - presentations, projects, conversations - with a group of students whose final grade is determined A) primarily from an exam and B) by someone other than myself.   From yesterday... As I sit here finishing up a set of unit tests written by my grade 12 students, I have to wonder, is this the best way for them to tell me what they know?  Is this the best way for them to prepare to write a standard, international examination? The answer to the first question, for many students, is a resounding, "NO!"  While they may understand the content, and be able to make connections between different concepts, when faced with test questions that ask them to explain what they understand or make those connections, they often fall short. However, when I consider that 80% of their mark comes from an examination that is written a