Skip to main content

New year, new project

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Challenges 2018

A few years ago, I started a reading challenge with the intent of reading more. That year my goal was to read 26 books (and the challenge was " 26 Books with Bringing up Burns "). 26 books seemed reasonable, and I hadn't really been keeping track of what or how many books I read in a year, so a book every two weeks seemed do-able.  This year, so far, I'm at 99 books (and as I should finish the one I'm planning to use to complete the second reading challenge... I'll be in triple digits by the time we ring in 2019.) For my fourth year of participation, #26BOOKSwithBringingUpBurns... I read a book that: is self-published: The Dealmaker by G.S. Marriott has food or drink on the cover: Killer Cupcakes by Leighann Dobbs is translated from its original language: The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson is your friend's favourite book: White Oleander by Janet Fitch has pink on the cover: City of the Lost

No buses... so now what?

For the second time in as many weeks (both Tuesdays, I might add...) we've had buses cancelled due to inclement weather.  Sometimes, these days can be a blessing, as when a number of students are bussed in, we have few in the building and it may be an opportunity to catch up on paperwork, the dreaded grading that we all try to minimize and still manage to collect too much of... but this close to January exams, I'd rather be able to work with my students and help them study and review the semester's content. I had 4 students in my grade 11 class, and we took up the answers to the genetics problems test they wrote last week.  One student in grade 12?  He's taking samples from the lab we set up yesterday ( using dialysis tubing to model the small intestine ) so the next class can use the equipment tomorrow. What about me?  Did I make good use of my time?  I copied my grade 11 exam and delivered it to the main office for safe-keeping until my students write it next week

Planning ahead and Prezi

I discovered Prezi about six years ago at a PD-instead-of-a-staff meeting session. One of my colleagues shared resources to use with PowerPoint, and another introduced us to Prezi. I'd never seen it - I don't do a lot of in-class presentations (by students) so it was a cool new tool for me at the time when it didn't give me vertigo. I still use it sometimes... I have Prezis that I like (and some that I don't) . I prefer Prezi for teaching single topic or concept - anything that would take multiple days in class, I veer towards Google Slides more often than not. Here's one I use for introducing IB diploma programme courses to our grade 10 students: There are a lot more built-in templates than there were when I first used it, and I recently received an email from the developers with a "school planning calendar for 2017". It looked good for highlighting key dates in a month, so I thought I'd give it a try.  The only thing is... everything we do